Hey Everyone! If you haven't noticed I've been on a bit of a meal planning kick with last weeks two part post, and I'm going to continue that trend this week with 5 tips to include your family in the meal planning process. But first one of my favourite quotes:
Get it done & do it as a family!
- Do your planning around meal times, when the family is naturally together and thinking about food. And try to avoid times when there is an immediate time constraint i.e. sports practice after dinner.
- Prior to your planning session, have your planner tool ready and wright in any events or potential food conflicts going on in the week, and check with the family to see if there are any events etc that may have been missed (or wasn't mentioned yet)
- Ask everyone what they feel like eating that week, then start incorporating it all!
- If/when discrepancies come up (as they often do with multiple children) use negotiation to find a middle ground so everyones happy (and you are not stuck making multiple meals)
- If focus is a challenge for family members, give direction by providing a meal to start with or some context for the day. (ex on Friday we have Timmy's hockey practice at 7pm, so we need to eat dinner early, does anyone have a request?)
- Have a few new recipe ideas ready to suggest (Hello Pinterest!), and if you find yourself needing more, look up others recipes as a family.
- Find a way to make it fun, especially when kids are involved. Use your imagination and get creative, if you can make meal planning fun it will be more productive and is significantly more likely to imprint as a positive habit.
- Try drawing meals from a hat or letting the winner of a quick game choose a meal.
Well, thats all for now, thanks for reading!
Until next week…